Wednesday, October 24, 2007

A Dream

Everybody has a dream, right. At least we all had them at one time, whether we can remember now what they might have been...And the thing about dreams is that we are all entitled to our own - without judgement! I have recently learned that one of Heath's dreams since his childhood was to be able to go on an elk hunt. I don't at all pretend to understand it, just simply accept it, because I could see the excitement, fear, wonder, anticipation etc. as he prepared to embark on fufilling his "dream."

Heath came home from Colorado last Friday where he had been hunting elk. He returned without hide nor hair of the elusive beast. In fact, they barely even caught glimpse of any elk on their 10 day journey through the mountains. As I hear this news from him, I translate "wasted trip, dissapointment, my dream trip stunk." But those were not his emotions, despite his inability to truly call himself an "elk hunter" given the circumstances...He still saw the experience as a fabulous time, despite the lack of "the kill."

I'll admit that I had a hard time understanding his viewpoint. If my "dream" had not worked as I planned, I would probably pout, complain, and swear off it's importance to me altogether. And then I discovered something that helped me to understand my husband and his passion a little better.

Okay, so don't tell anybody, but earlier this week I happened to accidently be reading this month's issue of "Colorado Outdoors" magazine when I came upon a full spread about elk hunting in Colorado. These words regarding elk hunting stuck out to me..."It's certainly restorative - recreational in the 'makes you a better person' sort of contemplative way - and it's certainly a thinking-person's endeavor that at some time or another makes you wonder why humans rule the planet when an elk can make any of us look like a fool."

Ohhhhh - so it's not just about the killing. There's something more to it than that. It's hard work. It's experiencing God's beauty. It's taking time to reflect on life, converse with God, and enjoy the solitude. And while I still won't ever truly understand his passion for hunting, I do feel like I have a little better perspective and new respect for the whole process...A good lesson for all of us "hunting widows."

Here are some of his pictures...




These last two pictures fascinate me (I live a sheltered life)...The first one shows a bunch of little waterways with logs layed throughout them by beaver. The second is a beaver dam. It totally amazes me that beavers can cut down that many trees and place them all where they want them...God's design is amazing!

3 comments:

Kim P. said...

Those are some amazing pictures! I think most men (and even some of us women) have that need to be out in God's creation. I grew up around hunters but never thought of it in this way.

simply fabulous said...

Very interesting! I have had pretty much the exact conversation with Kris when he comes home not having caught much! Neat perspective!

Jennifer said...

The photos are breath-taking. I can only imagine what it must have been like to experience it.